Mostly Cloudy, 61°

Round 2 playoff football recap

Two North Fulton teams advance to the quarterfinals



Class 7A

Brookwood 28, Milton 23 — Milton fell short in a closely contested second round matchup against Brookwood Friday night, ending the Eagles season.

After a scoreless first quarter, Milton took the lead on a Hayden Hairston field goal. It would be the Eagles’ only lead of the game.

Brookwood scored on an 18-yard pass to give the Broncos a 7-3 lead at the break. They extended the lead to 14-3 early in the third.

The teams exchanged scores for the remainder of the contest, but Milton couldn’t overcome the Broncos lead.

Syaire Waters caught a 49-yard pass from Jordan Yates and Solomon Vanhorse scored a rushing touchdown, but Milton trailed 28-16 after a 50-yard Brookwood passing score with less than two minutes remaining.

Yates connected with Dash Hairston to cut the lead to one score and breathe life into the Eagles with a minute to go. However, a penalty on the ensuing onside kick allowed Brookwood to run out the clock and deny the Eagles their second-ever trip to the quarterfinals.

The Eagles compiled a 9-3 record in head coach Adam Clack’s inaugural season, their fourth-best overall record in 68 years.


Class 6A

Alpharetta 24, Douglas County 21 — Alpharetta extended its winning streak to 11 games and became the first in program history to advance to the quarterfinals Friday night.

The Raiders opened a 17-0 lead early in the second quarter after touchdown passes from Matthew Downing to Spencer Gaddis and Marcus Hill. Dylan Schorr added a 28-yard field goal.

Douglas County responded with an 83-yard touchdown rush and turned a broken play into a long touchdown pass to cut the lead to 17-14 at the half.

The Tigers took the lead on a tipped ball interception returned for a touchdown midway through the third. On Alpharetta’s subsequent drive, Downing connected with Hill again for an eight-yard touchdown to give the Raiders the lead for good.

Alpharetta kept the Tigers’ rushing attack in check, with Jack Stanton and Nick Markus recording sacks.

The Raiders will host Coffee in the third round next Friday.

Mays 48, Centennial 41 — A week after winning their first playoff game in 15 years, the Knights nearly made it two in a row but fell to a powerful Mays team in an offensive shootout.

Mays entered the game allowing less than 10 points per game, but Centennial’s offense was up to the task. For the seventh straight game, the Knights’ offense scored over 40 points, but in this case, it wasn’t enough to overcome the Raiders’ equally potent offense.

The teams traded scores throughout, with Centennial taking a 41-35 lead with a Julian Nixon rushing score late in the third. Mays responded the next play with a 93-yard touchdown rush to take a 42-41 lead.

After being unstoppable for the first three quarters, the Knights’ offense stalled in the fourth. Two turnovers on downs and an interception allowed Mays to advance with the 48-41 win.

Centennial’s season came to an end with an 8-4 overall record in Michael Perry’s debut season.


Class 4A

Blessed Trinity 21, Cartersville 17 — Blessed Trinity took down Cartersville, two-time defending state champions on a 41-game win streak, to advance to the quarterfinals Friday night.

The Titans’ defense shut down the Purple Hurricanes’ offense that averages nearly 50 points per game and has the top quarterback recruit in the nation in Trevor Lawrence. Cartersville managed just 226 total yards.

The Titans built a 14-3 halftime lead on two Steele Chambers rushing touchdowns, but trailed 17-14 in the final minute.

From 26 yards out, Jake Smith hit Ryan Davis for a touchdown pass for the game-winning score with just 12 seconds remaining.

BT compiled 174 yards rushing and Smith was 8-10 passing for 130 yards.

With the win, BT advances to the quarterfinals for the fifth straight season. They will go on the road against Thomson next Friday.


Class-A Private

Savannah Country Day 20, Mount Pisgah 17 — Mount Pisgah had their highest seeding entering the playoffs in five years, but their season came to an end Friday at home against Savannah Country Day.

The Patriots led 10-3 in the second quarter with a touchdown pass from Jacob Cendoya to Trey Murphy and a Payton Broaddus field goal. However, the Hornets would score two touchdowns within a minute to take a 17-10 lead into the half.

With just under five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Pisgah cut SCD’s lead to 20-17 with a David Woodward touchdown reception.

After forcing a Hornets’ punt, Mount Pisgah drove to SCD’s four-yard line with under a minute remaining seeking the go-ahead score. However, a sack brought the ball back to 25-yard line with just three seconds remaining.

Mount Pisgah’s field goal attempt was missed, allowing the Hornets to upset the Patriots on the road.

The Patriots compiled an 8-3 record this season.

Stratford Academy 36, Fellowship Christian 22 — Fellowship Christian was denied their second-straight quarterfinals berth by eight-time state champions Stratford Academy Friday night.

The Paladins trailed by 20 in the third quarter before inching their way back, but their comeback attempt fell short.

Fellowship cut the lead to 30-22 late in the third quarter, but would fail to find the scoreboard again with the Eagles taking a two-score lead and holding on for the win.  

It was the first meeting between the schools since 2004.

The Paladins season concluded with a 7-5 overall record.


View desktop version